- RSS Channel Showcase 5512661
- RSS Channel Showcase 3746431
- RSS Channel Showcase 2924492
- RSS Channel Showcase 4806652
Articles on this Page
- 04/17/18--06:30: _How immigrants lear...
- 04/27/18--09:30: _Remember when every...
- 05/31/18--10:36: _Free speech trumps ...
- 06/07/18--11:30: _Connecting working-...
- 06/11/18--06:32: _Middle school to ma...
- 06/13/18--15:01: _‘Teachers feel thre...
- 06/30/18--07:00: _When tiger kids bec...
- 07/14/18--07:00: _Summer jobs aren’t ...
- 04/17/18--06:30: How immigrants learn English in Canada
- 04/27/18--09:30: Remember when every kid counted?
- 05/31/18--10:36: Free speech trumps ‘offensiveness’
- 06/07/18--11:30: Connecting working-class kids to high-tech futures
- 06/11/18--06:32: Middle school to manufacturing
- 06/13/18--15:01: ‘Teachers feel threatened but aren’t backed up’
- 06/30/18--07:00: When tiger kids become parents
- 07/14/18--07:00: Summer jobs aren’t for teens any more
???? In Canadian schools, immigrants catch up to native English speakers within three years, reports Education Week correspondent Kavitha Cardoza in a video that aired on PBS NewsHour. Thirty percent of Canadian students are immigrants or the children of immigrants, compared to 23 percent of U.S. schoolchildren, writes Cardoza. Yet Canada has one of the highest performing […]
Tracy Dell’Angela remembers when affluent suburban schools had to “worry about whether all their students made the grade — not just some of them, not just the White ones and the middle-class ones.” Under No Child Left Behind (NCLB), schools had to report the performance of vulnerable subgroups, such as students with disabilities, English-language learners and […]
Oregon’s Liberty High School must respect a student’s free-speech rights to wear a “Donald J. Trump Border Wall Construction Co.” T-shirt, reports Maxine Bernstein on Oregon Live. “A federal judge Tuesday granted a temporary restraining order, barring Hillsboro’s Liberty High School from preventing senior Addison Barnes from wearing his pro-border wall T-shirt to school for the […]
Carlos Huerta, an engineering student at Downtown College Prep Alum Rock High, works on wheels for a “drop-and-dash” robot for the Silicon Valley Tech Challenge. Photo: Joanne Jacobs Silicon Valley imports technical talent from around the country and around the world, but the kids who grow up in the Valley’s working-class neighborhoods, “the children of […]
Destini Williams and Amrose Bhujel test vehicles they’ve made from trash at Woodward Park Middle School in Columbus, Ohio. Photo: Maddie McGarvey/Education Week Middle-schoolers in Ohio are learning math, science and programming — and competing in contests such as MakerMinded to expose them to careers in advanced manufacturing reports Ed Week‘s Benjamin Herold. Lightweight Innovations for Tomorrow, […]
Gang graffiti on a fence in suburban Long Island, where police blame MS-13 for 30 murders in the last two years. Photo: Sarah Garland/Hechinger Report MS-13 gang members have turned a Maryland middle school into a “ticking time bomb,” reports Michael E. Miller in the Washington Post. Gang-related fights are now a near-daily occurrence at Wirt, […]
Credit: JooHee Yoon/New York Times The son of tiger parents, lawyer Ryan Park wants to raise his daughters to be “happy, confident, and kind,” he writes in the New York Times. They don’t have to be academic superstars. His parents pushed him to achieve — or else. After graduating from Harvard Law, he clerked for […]
Immigrant adults are taking summer jobs once done by U.S. teenagers, writes Paul Bedard in the Washington Examiner. “Immigrants — legal and illegal — are crowding out U.S.-born teenagers in the labor market,” according to Center of Immigration Studies report by Steven A. Camarota and Karen Zeigler. Young people who worked in high school earn […]